Sunday, April 6, 2008

Am I pregnant?

Did you know?



I did. I was only a couple of days late and although like most women I'd had scares before where my period was late, this time it felt different. I had a gut feeling and I was certain.



I had some cheap tests, (like £3 for 2 from Sainsburys!), and as soon as I woke up I did the test. Think I peed on it for too long because the line came out very faint, but it was there. I was pregnant. I did the second test on the second day to be sure and yet again the line was faint but it was there.



Now what?!



I'd just moved up to London! I'd left my job, my boyfriend (temporarily not actually left him), my friends and family and any security I had in Bristol. I'm a personal trainer and had literally closed down my business, taken a loan and risked everything for the opportunity to work in Dax Moy's studio in London. I was starting from scratch, self-employed with 0 clients and a big fat debt. I just couldn't afford to be pregnant right now!



I found out on the Thursday and wasn't seeing Carl till the Friday night when I went home to Bristol for the weekend. I didn't want to tell him over the phone, but Friday morning, when I spoke to him to say good morning, he asked me if I'd got my period yet. I said no and then he asked me if I'd done a pregnancy test. I couldn't lie and told him I had and it was positive.



Although we both wanted kids we'd planned for the end of the year to start trying. After I'd spent my year with Dax working hard to meet my goal of becoming a world class trainer. And, ideally after we'd got married!



What were we going to do? Neither of us wanted to have kids in London or live there longer than necessary. I was literally there for a year to be a sponge and learn as much as I could and work as hard as I could at becoming an excellent coach. I was staying in a shared house in a tiny room with a sofabed and not much else, living cheaply to keep my debts at a minimum whilst I built my client base and worked bloody hard to earn a living. Not the best and least stressful situation to be in when you've just found out you're pregnant!



After lots of to-ing and fro-ing, Carl and I decided it was best for me to stay in London. By this point it was too late to come back to Bristol, as I'd already handed most of my clients to other trainers and more importantly I'd be giving up on my dream. He would be moving up in a couple of months anyway so we'd be together soon anyway. It looked like it was all going to work out fine after all.

No comments: