Thursday, April 10, 2008

Agh! Complications - too many!

I woke up to bleeding. The second week in a row. Last week there was just a tiny bit of spotting but this time it was bright red blood. Not a great deal but enough to scare me.

I went to the doctors and was sent straight to EPDU for a scan and blood tests.

Luckily everything seemed to be OK. The sac was tiny but you could just about see it. The hormone count was also going up as normal and everything was on track.

Phew! Thank God! This was stressful enough being without Carl and trying to build a business, let alone with any complications on top. Only a couple of people knew and that was Dax, my boss and Carl so it was tough managing without my family to turn to for support.

Then one week later on the Sunday night I was sat on the sofa and felt a severe pain in my lower back. To be honest I thought it was constipation. I knew this was extremely common in pregnancy and ignored it for a bit. When it got really bad I went to go to the bathroom.

By the time I got there my tracksuit bottoms were soaked with blood and the toilet filled up with blood as soon as I started to try and "go". I screamed for my housemate and she rushed me to A&E.

They were very good and rushed me in. The doctor took a look and said there was a lot of blood but not to panic as my cervix was still closed. They took loads more blood and I was sent home and asked to come back to EPDU the next day.

The next 48 hours were very worrying but I tried to keep myself calm. I couldn't get an appointment the next day as EPDU were fully booked so I had to wait another day. This was all so hard on my own.

I finally got in to EPDU for another scan and the results of my blood tests.

Panic over! The scan showed the sac had grown to more than 3 times the size and you could even see the little heartbeat! My hormone levels were rising normally and I was discharged and sent to my doctors to book my antenatal care.

I was so pleased! I had worried that it had been my fault for training abs in the first few weeks but the midwife told me that there was no way that could have caused it as I'm strong and fit and have been training for about 10 years.

By now I was just over 8 weeks and I was heading home that weekend with the picture of my scan to show my parents! I wondered how they'd take the news!

No comments: