Saturday, May 2, 2009

Is Sleeping On Your Left A Myth?

Is sleep causing you problems now that you are getting bigger?

If you're anything like the majority of pregnant mums I meet then sleep can be a big issue. You know you're supposed to lie on your left but sleeping in this position the whole time can be extremely uncomfortable after a few hours.

I too found sleeping became uncomfortable during my pregnancy. I would start out OK on my left, but then get a dead leg or arm and want to turn over. I found it really hard to sleep on my left the entire time!

The thing is, there are good reasons to sleep on your left as this video explains...



If you still find it doesn't suit you, here are some things you can try to help you drift off:

1. Sleep with a pregnancy pillow (I found mine a godsend - and it was good for breastfeeding afterwards!)

2. Stretch before bed - stretching your tired body can do wonders as you increase blood flow to the muscles meaning that you wash away any toxins that may make you feel even more stiff and achy in the morning

3. Prop yourself up slightly if sleeping on your left is really uncomfortable (this also works wonders for heartburn!)

What about you? What do you find works to get a good night's sleep?

No comments: